Youth Advocacy Internship
The Chin Association of Maryland is seeking an intern for Summer 2023 to support governmental advocacy and documentation on human rights and religious freedom in Burma (Myanmar). The Youth Advocacy Intern will participate in advocacy at the federal, state, and county level, as well as contributing to CAM reports and assisting with programmatic tasks. CAM interns will come away with the skills to lead advocacy in their own communities, as well as a foundation in human rights work and non-profit administration.
- Prepare for and attend CAM in meetings with the Administration (e.g. State Department), Congress, and state and local officials in Annapolis and Ellicott City, Maryland.
- Conduct research related to the post-coup violence and human rights situation in Burma for publication in CAM reports; writing and editorial assistance.
- Drafting statements and social media posts; assisting with CAM events as needed
- Current university student or recent graduate with a degree in social sciences or a related area;
- Written and spoken fluency in English;
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, Google Workspace)
The ideal candidate will further exhibit:
- Previous experience or interest in Burma or Southeast Asia
- A flexible working style suited to the non-profit sector
- Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
This internship is unpaid. The internship period will extend six weeks from onboarding (approximate dates: June 1- August 15).
The Chin Association of Maryland is a non-profit organization based in Ellicott City, Maryland with an advocacy office in Washington, DC. CAM advocates for Chin and other refugees and internally displaced persons in Burma, as well as religious freedom and human rights. CAM also works to empower the local Chin community in Maryland to successfully integrate into American society.
**Please indicate in your cover letter if you are applying for this position as part of a program where you will receive academic credit or other compensation for completing this internship.**
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org